Monday, July 24, 2023

SHORT CUT TO DEATH

A few days ago, I was driving home and decided to take a "short cut" instead of the road I was currently on. I took a one lane section parallel to the highway and then was about to make a turn when I stopped, unsure if the left hand turn was correct. During this time, unbeknownst to me, a SUV was speeding past on the left hand side of the road. If I had proceeded with the turn, I would have been broad sided and likely killed by the impact of the crash, but instead, I drove straight onward after the brief pause as I watched the SUV drive on. The really strange part of this was the driver of the passing SUV was waving what looked like a white rag outside the window. The more I thought about this, the more I realized how close I had come to death. You can laugh at such things, but obviously it is not funny knowing how fragile life is and it being subject to such seemingly commonplace choices and errors. I checked on the internet to see what was the significance of a white flag to a driver and apparently it is used in Formula One racing to signify a slow vehicle on the track. So it seems someone driving a SUV thinks they are a Formula One race driver and is keeping a white flag to tag slow vehicles as they speed by on the side of a one lane road and that person almost killed me. I think I will take the multi-lane long path on the main road next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment