Sunday, September 6, 2015

GRAVEYARD COFFEEHOUSE - "Giving New Life To Dead Poems"





I should have known not to revisit your grave
Thinking your rancid memories might look better
With a few flowers strewn around your name
Burned into concrete and stone
I started thinking how lonely Death must be
In a silent garden of moldering corpses
So I paid you a visit and stood there alone
Plucking weeds off your tombstone with care
Like I used to run my amorous fingers through
Your flowing hair in the wind
The tears will not come anymore
When I reminisce about the tragedy that was us
A horror story in three parts
Hello, the middle and all the goodbyes
With time the foul smell has dissipated enough
That I can smile and walk away
Amused by the lies, deception and betrayal
That have lost their bite, but kept their sting
I should have kept walking and not turned back
But I loved you deep inside
My twisted black excuse for a heart
So I said a little prayer before returning to my car
Driving away into the distance
Echoes of my last eulogy by your side
Screaming in my brain
Stay dead and haunt me no more
Hell spawn bitch
Leaving a single red rose
By your side to spend eternity with
Instead of my love.






It is amazing what passes for crazy these days
An unkempt old woman talking to herself
At a supermarket is without doubt crazy
People who keep 27 cats and 45 dogs
Dictators
Murders
World leaders out of favor
A guy who has buried a million dollars in his suburb yard
People who go to movie theaters to shoot up the crowd
Anyone who talks too loud or soft
Or has a strange look about them like big ears
Flamboyant rock stars and scientists in ivory towers
Those who fight the system and lead their own lives off the grid
Revolutionaries
Heroes
Inventors
Your uncle, your grand ma, lawyers, doctors, the homeless
And even you have been labeled crazy
I am sure at one time or another
A "mental illness" they call it
But no other illness is used to demean and diminish
To crush and ostrasize
There is no heart attack Friday Sale at the local car lot
Or Cancer comedy playing at the theater in town
There is no Diabetes the clown or pneumonia discount at the big box store
I see that crazy is not making you smile any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment