Sunday, June 30, 2019

Graveyard Coffeehouse



One Bullet

The hordes have allied
They are outside
They surround
Hound
Mock
They are well armed
And ready to bring this
Siege to a close
All within this fortress
Are dead or dying
There is no hope
No chance of a final victory
All that stands between
These high walls
And total annihilation
Is me
Me and one bullet
One bullet
And a bowie knife.

I hear the cheers
The trumpets blaring
The martial bands
Preparing these cowards
To make the final push
Over the wall
To claim this heap
Of the dead
The dead
The dying
And me
Me and one bullet
One bullet
And a bowie knife.

I hold the bullet
In my hand
Which is surprisingly steady
As I ponder
Is this bullet for me
Or one of the enemy throng?
I know Death is coming
The only thing left
Is what form
My demise will take
For I have one bullet
And the option to choose
One bullet and nothing to lose
One bullet
And a bowie knife.

I smile amid the groans
Of the wounded
The sound of marching feet
I will die my way
Forever defiant
As I load my rifle
With one bullet
My bowie knife at my side
As the ramparts are breached
I wait
For the first sight
Of the enemy
His flamboyant military uniform
Shining in the sun
Bring my rifle to bear
And fire
My one bullet
Straight into his chest
As crimson splatters everywhere.

I reach for my bowie knife
Charging into the massed army
With a scream
A shout to make
The heavens fall
And they do
Cowering
As I proclaim on high
Here is my one bullet
Here is my bowie knife
I tear savagely
Into the first man
I can reach
I am a legend
That will never die
I am a god
Invincible
Here is my one bullet
Here is my knife
Here is my eternity
My one bullet.

No comments:

Post a Comment